[ANSTHRLD] Conflict question - Septfoil?

Tim McDaniel tmcd at panix.com
Thu Aug 16 14:14:59 PDT 2012

On Thu, 16 Aug 2012, Scott Barrett <barrett1 at cox.net> wrote:
> > On Thu, Aug 16, 2012 at 3:00 PM, Scott Barrett <barrett1 at cox.net>
> > wrote:
> >> So, I have a friend very interested in a red septfoil, a
> >> seven-petaled foil drawn the old fashioned way.

Are there seven-petaled foils in period armory?

> >> Very few are
> >> listed in the Ordinary, so at first glance it looks like a sure
> >> thing - but that nagging voice suddenly speaks up. It says
> >> "someone will say it conflicts with all petaled flowers, or at
> >> least the great untouchable rose, even if it is drawn nothing
> >> like them".
> >
> > Disclaimer: I am NOT MAKING A RULING with this opinion.
> >
> > I couldn't immediately find anything in precedent one way or the
> > other. My guess is that "7 petals" would be classified as a
> > "multi-petaled" flower, and so potentially conflict with things in
> > that category, not things in the "rose" category.
>
> So your first impression (not an official ruling) would be that the
> number of petals on a foil does not grant CD? If multi-petaled
> flowers conflict with each other, a trefoil (3) would conflict with
> a cinquefoil (5). Am I understanding this correctly, or have I
> missed the mark?

Um, either you or I appear to have read that response 180 degrees off.
She replied that perhaps "7 petals" might be in FLOWER-MULTI-PETALED,
and might not conflict with ROSE.  If 7 doesn't conflict with 5, I
don't see a chain of reasoning to conclude that a number of petals
doesn't count and therefore 5 conflicts with 3.

BTW, "multi-" tends to be misused in SCA heraldry to mean "many" or
"more than you might expect", as in a "multipetaled flower" or
"Monster - Multiheaded".

Danihel de Lindicolino
Tim McDaniel, tmcd at panix.com