[ANSTHRLD] Conflict question - Septfoil?

Scott Barrett barrett1 at cox.net
Thu Aug 16 14:47:23 PDT 2012

Okay, I'll let this fellow know the current enigma on septfoils and have him
send it in for examination and debate.

Also, while the SCA has registered one recently (November 2010) I have only
located the septfoil on the modern arms of the Scottish genealogical
society, not a medieval source. Granted, this was just a quick googling
online, but I suspect that if it was used before 1600 in heraldry, it was
likely very rare.
It does appear as a feature in decorative stone and woodwork within our
timeframe, and I spotted a reference to the Church using it as a symbol for
the Seven Cardinal Virtues.

~Finnacan