[ANSTHRLD] Rhinoceros Proper?

Tim McDaniel tmcd at panix.com
Wed Aug 22 21:07:16 PDT 2012

On Wed, 22 Aug 2012, Gary Koehler <garylkoehler at yahoo.com> wrote:
> Is the proper coloration of a rhinoceros grey?

No rhino proper has ever been registered, or even considered since
1990.  Given what someone else (Magnus, was it?) wrote about colors,
I'm not sure what the proper tincture would be.

> I am trying to save a submission (Per bend sinister argent and
> gules, a rhinoceros rampant sable - you can see where the trouble
> is)

Um, sorry, I see no problem.  The field is considered neutral for
contrast purposes, the field does not share a tincture with the
charge, the tinctures aren't close enough to where a complex outline
would be a problem (e.g., a calamarie azure with a half-purpure
field) -- in terms of colors and colors, gules is the best you can
get.  Even if there were a contrast problem, you could move the charge
to dexter chief to get it all on argent.

Mind you, "per bend sinister" is, in period terms, the back side of an
uncommon banner.  I'd be a lot happier if they chose, oh, per fess.
But P.B.S. is registerable ceteris paribus.

Daniel de Lindocollino
Tim McDaniel, tmcd at panix.com