[ANSTHRLD] Fwd: Re: [SCA-HRLDS] Fwd: Latin for "Wretched hive of scum and villainy"

Tim McDaniel tmcd at panix.com
Mon Feb 20 18:35:21 PST 2012

     ---------- Forwarded message ----------
     Date: Tue, 21 Feb 2012 13:33:14 +1300
     From: tamara at suncrow.com
     To: sca-hrlds at lists.andrew.cmu.edu
     Subject: Re: [SCA-HRLDS] Fwd: Latin for "Wretched hive of scum and villainy"

I asked our local Latin-wallah & got this reply:

---
Hey,

I would say something like "aerumnosissimum cubile caeni scelerisque"
(lit. more like "most calamitous bed of filth and wickedness", but in
a very metaphorical sense very much like "wretched hive of scum and
villainy"), but you have a lot of options! I wouldn't use alveus or
spuma - they're very literal, and just not derogatory enough - but
miser and improbitas are fine. What's better depends on whether it's a
morally upright person making an accusation, or a morally degenerate
person making a boast.

Not sure why google wants to put the scum and villainy into the
dative, but I suppose that could maybe work too - I don't do enough
prose construction to know for sure that it's not appropriate! Having
said that, it's also put alveus into dat/abl, which *must* be just
wrong, so maybe I'm right.

Cheers,
Essyllt