[ANSTHRLD] Submissions Rate

Kathleen O'Brien mari_1184 at att.net
Wed Jan 18 21:44:40 PST 2012

On 1/18/2012 8:29 AM, Tim McDaniel wrote:
> On Wed, 18 Jan 2012, Alden Drake <alden_drake at sbcglobal.net> wrote:
>> Can someone please confirm the current rate for heraldic
>> submissions?
>
> Oh, I dunno, about 250 a month Society-wide, maybe 350 if the Pennsic
> submissions hit Laurel in the same month?

It's gone down then.  I remember 300+ every month with Pennsic being
about 100 bigger.  The largest during our first tenure was 400 items in
one January LoAR.  That was brutal.  For comparison, HeraldiCon was
something like 900 items, if I remember correctly.  And that was a 3 and
a half year backlog.  Not anymore, the Society has sure grown!

I actually use submission counts like this to explain to submitters who
ask, "Well, why can't Laurel just call and ask me if they have a
question?"  Well, that would be because the person making the decision
has to rule on anywhere from 125 to 175 items in a single day.  Which,
depending on the submission count and how many hours you're willing to
go, means no more than 3 to 5 minutes to handle the form, read
everything, and make a decision.  So, it just isn't possible to call
folks with questions.

I think this is one of the major benefits we've gotten out of OSCAR.
Issues get raised earlier in the process and a kingdom herald can
contact submitters with questions or try to get letters of permission to
conflict.

Mari