[ANSTHRLD] Noisemakers in voice heralding

Tim McDaniel tmcd at panix.com
Mon Jul 2 08:58:02 PDT 2012

On Mon, 2 Jul 2012, Richard Culver <captbigdamnhero at gmail.com> wrote:
> The Old English word "hyrnboda," which is usually translated as
> herald

Well, "herald" per se was just being developed as Old English was
ending.

> implies usage of a horn in it and it was a notion which lasted very
> long after, including the herald horn on the herald badge.

Um, you realize "the herald badge" is an SCA invention?  I'd wildly
speculate that it was adopted due to the notion of "herald trumpeters"
from movies like _The Court Jester_, though I don't know whether
"herald trumpeters" are period at all.

The Troll with the poll
Tim McDaniel, tmcd at panix.com