[ANSTHRLD] Reasons for Kingdom Return

Alasdair MacEogan alasdair at bmhanson.net
Thu Jun 14 21:30:52 PDT 2012

On 6/14/2012 8:35 PM, Andreas von Meißen wrote:
> Is there a way to find out the *reason* for a kingdom return?
Others have answered the specifics of the item you are wanting to look
at.  I will go ahead and try and address the generalities of how the
information can be found and use Gerhart as an example.  I will try and
gear this towards the beginner which means I will expand (at least on
first use) those pesky acronyms that the more experienced through
around.  May not be the only/best method but this is how _I_ do it.

The first step is to find which Internal Letter of intent (ILoI) the
submission appeared in.  Unless it is more recent than the latest set of
updates then you can find it in the Ansteorran Heraldic Submission
Tracker (HST) which can be found here:
http://heraldry.ansteorra.org/hst/ .  Newer items can now also be found
in our kingdom garden of OSCAR for which I hope they are able to
implement a search function similar t the one on the main OSCAR at some
point.

Once you know which ILoI it is in you then have to know where to go to
see the decision and explanation of reason.  For items older than
09-2011 ILoIs you want to go look for the Annotated Internal Collated
Commentary (AICC) found here: http://heraldry.ansteorra.org/ICC/ .
This is where the decision was documented.  The AICC month and year
should match the ILoI.  You may also fine it published in the Ansteorran
Gazette the month following the decision meeting it was at.  Though
later Gazettes are just listings and links to the web document.  So once
you open the PDF that is the AICC you just fine the item and after all
the commentary is the decision and reason.

Note that there are some older documents missing which may be why you
have to go look at the Gazette.  Also at some point the kingdom started
issuing fast-track ILoIs.  These are also items that are immediately
returned or forwarded to laurel without going through the internal
commentary.  Those FT ILoIs can be fund listed on the ILoI page (
http://heraldry.ansteorra.org/ILoI/ ) under the month and year the
decision was made.

Post 09-2011 the kingdom started publishing a Letter of Decision (LoD)
which can be found here: http://heraldry.ansteorra.org/ILoD/  .  The
date of the LoD matches up with the date on the ILoI.  So just find the
one that matches and open it.  This is also where all Fast Track
decisions can be found post 09-2011.

So lets use this process to look up Gerhart Wolfgang der Rote which is
the one Tostig kindly did the research on already.

HST:
http://heraldry.ansteorra.org/hst/names/G.html#Gerhart%20Wolfgang%20der%20Rote

We find the following:
*Gerhart Wolfgang der Rote.(Elfsea)*
    Name.
    ILoI 7/06 14.
    Kingdom accepted 9/06 (AG 10/06).
    Laurel registered1/07
    <http://heraldry.sca.org/loar/2007/01/07-01lar.html>.
*".*
    Device.
    ILoI 7/06 14.
    Kingdom returned 9/06 (AG 10/06).
*".*
    Device.
    Fast-track returned 3/08 (AG 4/08) 1.
*".*
    Device.
    ILoI 9/09 7.
    Kingdom returned 11/09 (AG 12/09).

So ILoIs of 07/2006, FT ILoI 03/2008, ILoI 09/2009.  All pre-09//2011

The first 2 have AICCs ( http://heraldry.ansteorra.org/ICC/ ) and the
2nd you need to look at the FT ILoI (
http://heraldry.ansteorra.org/ILoI/ ).  Actually there seems to be a
minor error in that the FT ILoI was published 04/2008 and not 03/2008
(03/2008 did not exist and there has been some confusion about how the
FT ILoIs are dated) but I was able to find it in 04/2008.

Hope this helps someone.
Alasdair