[ANSTHRLD] Conflict check please

Tim McDaniel tmcd at panix.com
Fri Nov 16 09:26:10 PST 2012

On Thu, 15 Nov 2012, Frank Schalles <francisschalles at gmail.com> wrote:
> You guys are going to like this one.
>
> Sable, a rampant Platypus gules, overall in saltire 2 “sporks” Or.
>

> Yes, the platypus is under Beast, other, and yes the fork or spoon is under
> Tools, eating.
>
> I found :
>
> Siglinde aus Truso, called the Stupid Peasant
> <http://oanda.sca.org/oanda_name.cgi?p=Siglinde%20aus%20Truso%2c%20called%20the%20Stupid%20Peasant>
> February of 1980 (via Meridies):
> Vert, in saltire two wooden spoons proper, on a chief embattled
> azure, fimbriated Or, a dinner plate Or.
>
> Coille Stoirmeil, Canton of
> <http://oanda.sca.org/oanda_name.cgi?p=Coille%20Stoirmeil%2c%20Canton%20of>
>
> August of 1989 (via the Middle):
> Vert, two spoons inverted in saltire argent.
>
> which I think are clear.

Considering style, two identical items in saltire is fine on its own,
though there may be problems based on other elements of the armory.
Furthermore, as I mentioned in a reply yesterday, period tools are
registerable, and spoons are period, though they should be depicted in
a period form.

SENA has conflict rules under A.5.  In the proposed design with an
animal and overall tools in saltire, the animal is the primary charge
and the tools are overall charges.  In the two designs above, the
tools are primary.  SENA gives a lot of difference for primary
charges, so the two designs can immediately be seen to be clear by
addition or removal of primary charges, or demotion of the tools to
being overall, or whatnot.  (Sorry, in a rush agan and can't explan
that further.)

Daniel Lindocollinum
Tim McDaniel, tmcd at panix.com