[ANSTHRLD] Accented vowels in the 1292 Paris Census

Randy Shipp randyshipp at gmail.com
Sun Nov 25 10:45:09 PST 2012

I have a question about a submission on the 9/30/12 Ansteorra LoI (
https://oscar.sca.org/index.php?action=100&loi=1595) that I didn't get in
during commentary.

In the commentary for the name submission of Béatriz du Chesne, there were
comments to the effect that the acute accent on the first "e" was a
post-period editorial change, but I never saw any documentation that
supported that.  The source cited for the given name,
http://heraldry.sca.org/laurel/names/paris.html, certainly has the accented
vowel in the 1292 Paris census entry for "Béatriz la buchière."  Does
anyone have access to a scan of the original 1292 Paris census roll that
would settle this?  Absent that, I can't see how the weight of evidence is
against the accented vowel.

Thoughts?