[ANSTHRLD] Accented vowels in the 1292 Paris Census

Ron Blackman eirik at hot.rr.com
Mon Nov 26 03:42:59 PST 2012

If you look at the original source, it is an 1837 list of the 1292 Census and the author added accents to reflect the 1837 common spellings of the names. Therefore the actual census may or may not have those accents.

Eirik Halfdanarson
Bordure Herald

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note™, an AT&T LTE smartphoneRandy Shipp <randyshipp at gmail.com> wrote:I have a question about a submission on the 9/30/12 Ansteorra LoI (
https://oscar.sca.org/index.php?action=100&loi=1595) that I didn't get in
during commentary.

In the commentary for the name submission of Béatriz du Chesne, there were
comments to the effect that the acute accent on the first "e" was a
post-period editorial change, but I never saw any documentation that
supported that.  The source cited for the given name,
http://heraldry.sca.org/laurel/names/paris.html, certainly has the accented
vowel in the 1292 Paris census entry for "Béatriz la buchière."  Does
anyone have access to a scan of the original 1292 Paris census roll that
would settle this?  Absent that, I can't see how the weight of evidence is
against the accented vowel.

Thoughts?