[ANSTHRLD] A platypus and two sporks

Tim McDaniel tmcd at panix.com
Fri Nov 16 23:04:43 PST 2012

On Fri, 16 Nov 2012, Andreas von Mei_en <scamiz at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Nov 16, 2012 at 10:44 PM, Frank Schalles
> <francisschalles at gmail.com>wrote:
>
>> I am told he has an example of it being period.

"It" being a platypus?  To be pedantic: platypodes themselves were
period, but Europeans became aware of them only in the late 1700s.

>> I have yet to see it. I could avoid the color on color by: Sable,
>> on a rampant platypus Or, 2 spoons in saltire gules. This I hope
>> clears up some of the conflict.

To be precise, SCA heralds use "conflict" to refer to one armorial
design too closely resembling another armorial design.  Conflict has
not been called: the problems with the proposals have to do with
armorial content.

> Well, only a little, because you still have color-on-color.

In the redesign, the red spoons are on the yellow platypus is on the
black field, so nothing breaks tincture.

Blazon fu:
- in SCA blazons, we conventionally spell out numbers: two spoons.
- The charge type precedes the posture/orientation: platypus rampant.
- The SCA always uses a comma after the field specification, but the
   second comma above is optional.  Personally, I am more likely to
   omit it unless it clarifies something.

So "Sable, on a platypus rampant Or two spoons in saltire gules" is a
valid blazon.

Danyll de Lyncoln
Tim McDaniel, tmcd at panix.com