[ANSTHRLD] multi generation Gaelic names

Kathleen O'Brien mari_1184 at att.net
Thu Oct 11 23:20:20 PDT 2012

The only time I've seen two "O" bynames in a single name in Irish Gaelic
are the type Adelaide lists below - women's names that indicate her
lineage and gives her husband's name including his lineage.  So, she
descends from one "O" family and her husband descends from a different
"O" family.

I've never seen two "O" family names in a single ancestral lineage.
Multiple literal "mac" elements, yes.  But not two "O" elements.  So, in
cases where a grandfather and an "O" style familiy name both appear,
granddad is indicated via "mac" elements.  So, something of the form:

A mac B mhic C ui/ D

or

A mac mhic C ui/ D

where C is the grandfather.

And, as Adelaide notes, this only affects Irish Gaelic because Scottish
Gaelic didn't use "O" style family names.

Mari