[ANSTHRLD] Help with OSCAR from my Electronic Commenting class

Kathleen O'Brien mari_1184 at att.net
Thu Sep 6 20:47:38 PDT 2012

On 9/6/2012 9:24 PM, Jennifer Smith wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 6, 2012 at 9:13 PM, Kathleen O'Brien<mari_1184 at att.net>  wrote:
>> On 9/6/2012 11:40 AM, Doug Bell wrote:
>>> The Problem: When you post a comment OSCAR sometimes takes you to a random
>>> letter instead returning you to the letter the comment was posted.
>>> Thankfully, the commentary still goes to the proper place but this issue
>>> occurs regularly.
>>
>> I have never seen this problem.  Are you running multiple browser windows
>> simultaneously?  I don't do that so maybe that's part of your problem.
>
> I've seen this, no doubt caused by the same problem (having multiple
> OSCAR windows open when submitting a comment),

Yeah, I'm not surprised.  Which is why I asked the question.  I've seen
this problem on production software I've tested over my career.  At
least in those cases, it had to do with cookie management across
multiple instantiations of the same process (the browser window).  The
browser would get confused about which cookie went with which window and
decide, "ah heck, they all go to all the windows!"  And, at least in
some cases, it's due at least in part to the browser itself.  So, like
always, you can go scream part of your frustration at Microsoft (or
whoever).

The workaround in those production software cases was to either open the
2 browser windows from different machines or else open one in one
product (IE) and the other one in a different product (Firefox).  Aren't
those just lovely workarounds...

When this is what real world production software companies tell their
customers, I figure we're doing really well, especially given your note
below.

> but recently Istvan has
> managed to *mostly* fix it -- I'll frequently see a random letter, but
> the "still loading" twirly keeps spinning, and within a few seconds it
> pops me to the correct place on the correct letter.

That's fantastic!  At least in one of the cases I worked on for
production software, the developer explained the amount of rewriting
necessary to fix the problem - which made it clear that there was no way
we'd get management approval for that amount of work so Nothing Was
Going To Change.  (... great ... just great ... I'm sure the customer
will _love_ that answer ...)

So, we're doing better than at least THAT real-world product I've worked on.

Mari