[ANSTHRLD] Two-colored device help.

Brendan Haiduk bhaiduk at gmail.com
Wed Apr 10 00:06:58 PDT 2013

Hello all,
I'm fairly new to my role as local herald, so please take it easy on me if
there is an obvious answer I'm missing. I'm doing a consultation with a
client who would like a device that uses sable and gules only. I have
explained to him the color-on-color rule, which he now understands.
However, I would like to try and find a way to register heraldry that he is
excited about. So, the following device is what I was able to come up with:
"Per saltire sable and gules, a bordure counterchanged." First, is that
even legal?
Next I tried to conflict check it. Here is where I looked.
Field division - Per saltire - Sable - and gules: where I looked for
anything with a bordure.
Field division - Per saltire - Gules - and sable: where I looked for
anything with a bordure.
Field division - Per saltire - Sable - and (any color): where I looked for
anything with a bordure counterchanged.
Field division - Per saltire - Gules - and (any color): where I looked for
anything with a bordure counterchanged.
The only thing I found is:
Otho of Berwick <http://oanda.sca.org/oanda_name.cgi?p=Otho%20of%20Berwick>

   - The following device associated with this name was registered in May
   of 1987 (via An
Tir)<http://oanda.sca.org/oanda_date.cgi?y1=1987&m1=May&y2=1987&m2=May&kN=checked>
   :
   *Per saltire sable and argent, a compass star within a bordure
   counterchanged.*

Which should have a substantial change due to the addition of a primary
charge group. Does that all seem correct? Did I look in all the correct
places?
I realize this could be changed to be *per fess, per pale, per bend,
quarterly, etc, *but *per saltire* seemed the least likely to conflict.
Do you guys have any other suggestions for developing two-colored heraldry
within our rule set?
Thanks in advance for your help,
Micolay Haiduk
Gate's Edge Pursuviant