[ANSTHRLD] conflict check -- azure, on a bend Or five lozenges gules

Tim McDaniel tmcd at panix.com
Sun Apr 28 20:39:59 PDT 2013

On Sun, 28 Apr 2013, Pat Mullins <paedrics at yahoo.com> wrote:
> Is :
>
> Azure, on a bend Or five lozenges gules
>

> different enough from:
>
> * Scrope
> * The following device associated with this name was registered in
> December of 1994 (via Laurel):
> Azure, a bend Or.
> Important non-SCA arms
> to be registerable?
> if not, would it work with a bend sinister?
>
> Azure, on a bend sinister Or five lozenges gules...?

My first answer depends on whether you want to learn about armory.
Mind you, it's fine either way!  Nothing says that you have to be
interested in any particular part of heraldry.

If you do want to learn, I suggest that a good learning exercise would
be to go to http://heraldry.sca.org/sena.html#A5 and taking a swing at
it yourself, coming back to the list with further questions or to
check your work.

If not, SPOILER WARNING -- no and yes respectively.

I would like to note that the bend sinister was really rare in period.
So the second question: is the submitter interested in using more
common period style?

- If not, that's perfectly fine in this case -- bends sinister are
   registerable, regardless of how common or un- they were, and we (by
   definition) will register whatever is registerable.

- If they are, I suggest keeping the bend and doing something else for
   difference: change the style of the edge of the bend, adding another
   charge group, changing the tincture of the field or the bend,
   whatever.

Danyell Lincoln
Tim McDaniel, tmcd at panix.com