[ANSTHRLD] [Gazette] Ansteorran Gazette February 2013

Obelisk Herald obelisk at herald.ansteorra.org
Wed Feb 6 12:11:36 PST 2013

Ansteorran Gazette for February 2013

Contents:
Greetings unto the College of Heralds from Andrewe Star!

This past weekend was King's Round Table and Winterkingdom. The event
was very productive and I was grateful to visit with many of you from
the North whom I have not yet had the pleasure of meeting. First, I
want to congratulate Etienne de St. Amaranth, whom I named Herald
Extraordinary in Court. He has worked very hard and for a long time on
behalf of the College, and this is the most fitting reward I can think
of for that service. I know I look forward to seeing what title he
comes up with.  (No pressure Etienne!)

After discussing it with Their Majesties and Laurel, I have extended
my tenure as Star until January of 2014. I am pleased to have the
additional time, as it will make the changes below easier to implement
with the lack of an imminent change in leadership. I do still want
anyone interested in Star to remain in contact with me so that I can
work with you on the duties of the office and hopefully have anyone
who is interested, prepared to apply by the time applications open.

As the wind sweeps across the Northern Plains of our Kingdom, so too
does change blow down from the event. These changes will take time to
codify into the administrative handbook, but I will detail them
somewhat here. First, Their Majesties have changed the minimum officer
requirements for all branches. Baronial / Provincial branches now
require a Seneschal, Exchequer, and two of the other offices at their
choosing. Shires require a Seneschal, Exchequer, and One of the other
offices at their choosing. Cantons will require a Seneschal and an
Exchequer. These changes do not preclude a branch from having
additional officers by any means, they only are meant to prevent
having people fill offices they are not motivated to fill simply
because kingdom law required it.

I have taken a hard look at our local herald reporting, and while the
College does enjoy fairly good reporting numbers, Looking at things, I
think we're missing the mark. When I was asked to compile statistics
by Their Majesties, the first thing I thought to look at was
submissions numbers, probably the most obvious statistic we do. Those
numbers reflect a good health of our submissions system, but they do
not show the health of our local heraldic activities. These things
should be relfected in the report, and for some reason, with the
exception of a small handfull of groups, this is not happening. I
know, and the Regional Heralds know, that there are heraldic
activities happening in the kingdom on a regular basis. In order to
accurately gauge the health of our College, these activities need to
be reported. I know that for some of you, the reporting does
constitute an occasional burden. Therefore, effective immediately,
local heralds will switch to a quarterly reporting schedule similar to
what is utilized by the rest of the heralds in the kingdom. The first
quarterly report will be due from local heralds on February 10th, for
the months of November, December, and January. Your regional herald
will also be calling you or visiting with you at an event once a
month. The call will simply be along the lines of "Are you doing okay?
Any problems? Do you need anything?" -- One of the issues that
commonly gets brought to my attention as a Great Officer, is that
people feel communication is lacking up and down the officer chain. It
is my intent to resolve that both with the reporting changes, and the
required monthly contacts by the regionals. Please take the time to
ensure that information flows freely between yourselves. It will only
help the College and Kingdom to grow stronger. Local Heralds will no
longer be required to report on check numbers, or submissions mailed
in. You should still keep records of that information if need arises
to query it, but I am committed to not collect data from people when I
get it from other sources.

The change in reporting structure will necessitate a change in the
missed report escalation chain. This will take a little time to codify
and discuss, but I expect that it will be ready by the next round
table. If anyone has input on such matters, I welcome feedback.

In the coming weeks you will see a survey being circulated around.
Please take the time to fill out the survey. It will help us compile a
roster of heralds and their various talents and strengths, so that we
may better utilize our resources. The roster will be available to the
regional heralds but it is not my intention to make it public at this
time, so please don’t allow reservations about that to stop you from
completing it. If you have any questions, please feel free to contact
me.

One of the other things that will be changing is how we handle
education. It is my intention to begin getting classes recorded and
placed onto the internet. The exact mechanism is not yet determined,
but I and several others want to see education reach the members of
the College and the Populace without the burden of having to travel a
long way for it.  If you are interested in helping out in some way,
please get in touch with me.

In line with the education changes, the office of Tressure Herald is
now open for applications. Sior Tomas had to step down for personal
reasons, and I’m very grateful for his service. Tressure will have
significant responsibility for helping to make this educational reform
a reality. If you have interest in this office, again, please contact
me.  Applications will run until March 30th to allow for this
announcement to run in the Black Star.

The above constitutes the major changes being implemented. I am more
than willing to discuss these changes with anyone who has questions. I
appreciate everything that each one of you does for the College of
Heralds, and please know that none of this would be possible without
you.

I remain in service,

Andrewe
Star

*******
Status of ILoIs

ILoI 2012-08: Comments closed September 10, 2012.
LoI 2012-09. Laurel meeting December. LoAR published.

ILoI 2012-09: Comments closed October 10, 2012.
LoI 2012-10. Laurel meeting January. Pending LoAR publication.

ILoI 2012-10: No ILoI due to a lack of submissions.
LoI 2012-11. Laurel meeting February.

ILoI 2012-11: Comments closed December 1, 2012.
LoI 2012-12. Laurel meeting March.

ILoI 2012-12: Comments closed January 10, 2013.
LoI 2012-01. Laurel meeting April.

ILoI 2013-01: Comments due February 10, 2013.
Decision meeting and LoI February.

ILoI 2013-02: Comments due March 10, 2013.
Decision meeting and LoI March.

*******
Upcoming Meetings:

* February 17th - Decision Meeting (2013-01 ILoI) @ Round Rock

*******
Internal Letter of Intent 2013-02

1: Anastasia Thea Gemini - New Device
2: Auðr Rikarðsdottir - New Name & New Device
3: Delphina de Champeaux - New Badge
4: Isaac von Basel - New Device
5: Kυριακή Είρήνη - New Name
6: Loch Soillier, Barony of - Resub Badge
7: Lochlan Shaw - New Name & New Device
8: Morgan Lloyd - New Name & New Device
9: Robin of Loch Soillier - New Name & New Device
10: Sorcha MacAlister - New Name & New Device
11: Tomos Henderson - New Name & New Device
12: Ulsted the Unsteady - New Badge
13: Wolf de la Wode - New Badge

ILoI 2013-01 can be found here:
https://oscar.sca.org/kingdom/kingloi.php?kingdom=8&loi=1787

*******
Internal Collated Commentary 2012-11 can be found here:
http://oscar.sca.org/kingdom/kingloi.php?kingdom=8&loi=1683

*******
The external Letter of Intent for January 2013 can be found here:
http://oscar.sca.org/index.php?action=100&loi=1763

A list of items currently in progress can be found here:
http://heraldry.ansteorra.org/hst/

Further details on the status of items at Laurel can be found here:
http://oscar.sca.org/index.php?action=181