[ANSTHRLD] Starr Gate

Tim McDaniel tmcd at panix.com
Mon Mar 4 12:26:36 PST 2013

I was bemused to learn that Starr Gate is at the end of the Blackpool
Tramway, Blackpool, Lancashire, England.

Wikipedia says "The place is named after the spiky 'Starr' grass which
grows on the local sand hills which are located to the south of Starr
Gate.[citation needed] 'Gate' ('Geat' in Old English language) simply
means 'Way' from Old Norse 'Gat' - an opening or passage.[citation
needed]"

However, I don't know whether a street name is authentic for a
locative byname in English.  Then again, we thought a river name was
impossible as a locative in English until we found examples (as I
recall).

Danett de Linccolne
Tim McDaniel, tmcd at panix.com