[ANSTHRLD] demi-creatures

Tim McDaniel tmcd at panix.com
Mon May 27 10:15:38 PDT 2013

On Mon, 27 May 2013, Brett Chandler-Finch <naturemakeswell at gmail.com> wrote:
> Do demi creatures have to be issuant from something such as the base
> or another charge or can the creature simply be in the middle of the
> shield

Oh, they can demi all by themselves -- they can demi in the middle of
the shield, or upper left, or whatever.

> I would like to simplify my device to Sable, a demi-dragon Or.

Good instinct for a simple design!

You have three armigerous awards, you can call it "arms" if you like.
"Device" works too.

Consider Alaric Dimitrievich Razvedchikov|199406D|d|Per chevron azure
and Or, in sinister chief a demi-dragon Or.  One DC for the field.
Problem is that if his charge had been on the center of the field, it
would have been gold-on-gold, no contrast, so it had to move ... "In
cases where armory has an arrangement which is forced by the field, no
difference can be obtained for arrangement of those charges. It does
not matter whether the forced arrangement is in the registered item or
the new submission".  One difference, conflict.

Ulric Grimmheld, December of 2000 (the Middle, reblazon of badge from
7/86): Sable, a dragon segreant guardant maintaining a sledge-hammer
Or.  A quick check of LoARs shows 6/11, Cassandra Attewoode, "There is
a CD between a wall and a demi-wall".  So one DC (very likely: most
CDs carried over to DCs unless stated otherwise) for cutting the
dragon in half, segreant = rampant, no DC for head position
(guardant), no DC for a maintained charge, conflict.

Some changes that could get you clear: change of number, change of
tincture, change of orientation but that would make it look very
non-period so if you have no preference I'd like to convince you not
to, charges on the field, charges on the demi-dragon.  Any of these
might lead to different conflicts, of course.  I personally think
change of number is cleanest, but not necessarily easiest to draw, and
the design is up to you, not my preferences.

Danyll de Linccolne
Tim McDaniel, tmcd at panix.com