[ANSTHRLD] Rarely Used Charges spreadsheet updated to Apr 2014 LOAR

Bob Wade logiosophia at yahoo.com
Sat Jun 28 19:19:07 PDT 2014

I can't see where the following Precedent has been overturned:

"The torii is still permitted in Society heraldry, due to its modern familiarity among Occidentals (for instance, the word is found in Webster's Collegiate Dictionary) and its valid reblazon as a Japanese gateway. However, since no heraldic difference can normally be obtained from regional drawing style, we grant no difference between a Japanese gateway (torii) and a standard heraldic gate --- any more than we grant difference between an arch and a dolmen." (Ihashi Hidezo, June, 1993, pg. 22)

However,

Crínán mac Eoin.  Device. Quarterly gules and sable, a bridge of three spans and issuant from base a demi-sun Or.
This device is not in conflict with the device of Asa Hito, Vert, a demi-sun issuant from base within and conjoined to a torii gate Or. There is one CD for the change of field, and one CD for the difference between a torii gate and a bridge of three spans. (LoAR Nov 2011, A-Ansteorra)

And it should be noted ...

A.4. Armory Individually Attested Patterns

A. Definitions: Any armorial design that does not fit within our core style rules may still be registered if it can be documented as following a pattern of period practice within the armorial style of a single time and place within the temporal scope of the Society. This time and place may be in Europe or may be from a non-European period armorial tradition, such as Islamic or Japanese heraldry. We call such a design an Individually Attested Pattern. All elements in an Individually Attested Pattern must be found in that single time and place, including charges, arrangement of charge groups, and lines of division. Documentation under the Individually Attested Pattern rules does not exempt a design from conflict, presumption, or offense rules.

For example, Sable, a torii gate Or between three panthers argent, spotted of many tinctures would not be registerable as an Individually Attested Pattern, as it mixes charges from both Japanese and England. (SENA http://heraldry.sca.org/sena.html#A4)

Tostig