[ANSTHRLD] Seeking German name herald support

HerrDetlef herrdetlef at gmail.com
Tue Mar 25 08:36:14 PDT 2014

Alisone, a quick web search yielded little, and I doubt any of it can be of
use.

http://fabpedigree.com/s052/f026906.htm
from _Jamie Allen's Family Tree_ <http://fabpedigree.com/>
-this source is not scholarly, and I have seen no reliable source
citations. In fact, the home page sports the disclaimer "PLEASE do not
treat the information in this genealogy as authoritative." I would avoid
using genealogical web sources like the plague.

I tried my hand at +"von Robel" +"books.google" and came up with archived
texts like this one (actually, I think this one was the only one I pulled
up that actually DID contain the expression "von Robel."
http://www.archive.org/stream/NassauischeAnnalenJahrbuchDesVereinsFrNassauischeAltertumskundeUnd_573/Die_Cistercienser_in_Dargun_von_1172_bis_djvu.txt
-archived text of _Die Cistercienser in Dargun von 1172 bis 1300_
-contains the line "Die Monche Nicolaus von Wittenburg, Heinrich von Robel
und Johann von Corvei ' werden in die entlegene Begiiterung gesandt, und
1299 sind Colonen fleissig bei der Arbeit, umzubrechen, auszu- roden und
anzubauen."

The good news is that the name CAN be documented. The bad news is that it
can't be well documented online.

My next suggestion would be a German print encyclopedia, such as the
Brockhaus Enzyklopädie.

Speaking of Brockhaus, I just ran across a depressing link:
http://www.dw.de/germanys-brockhaus-encyclopedia-goes-online/a-3125497-1
It seems Wikipedia, being free, is choking out reputable encyclopedias.

I will keep looking. I wanted to give you a progress report of my search.

I just saw that Andreas von Meißen has offered to help. I know that he has
access to far more extensive libraries than I do.

-Detlef

     non omne quod nitet aurum est