No subject

Thu May 8 19:53:29 PDT 2014

later-period portraits with the lists such as in Neubecker,
standardization before the time of the Reconstructed Stuarts was
unknown. I couldn't find any patterns that resemble any kind of
organized system as far as ACTUAL jewelry is concerned.

Heraldic coronets seem to be a different critter altogether from
actual jewelry. The coronet ascribed to Jane Seymour (found in the
Oxford Guide), for example, is remarkably similar to the armorial
coronet used by HM Queen Elizabeth the Queen Mother. This kind of
standardization at the armorial level seems not to be official per se,
but more of a convention that was followed by everyone (kind of like
how Heraldry started!).

I should note that a lot of modern things regarding regalia and
heraldry seem to have their origins in the Restoration. It seems that
people thought that they ought to reconstruct as much as possible, so
they made rather hasty inferrences from what they saw in the
manuscripts and from what their fathers had told them.

The Orb, for instance, never appears in any account of an English
Coronation before the Restoration. Even today, it's sortof *stuck* in
the middle of the ceremony - it's handed to the Monarch and then
promptly taken away because it's so blasted heavy.  While there are no
Pre-Restoration accounts of an actual Orb, it appears in many Period
paintings, probably as a symbolic item representing Christian dominion
over the Earth.

What I *can* say for certain is that most SCAdian (and Adrian) crowns
and coronets do not look like anything found in Period. There is
certainly nothing resembling the embattled comital coronets.

Of course, the baronial coronet I purchased from Master Walthari for
myself is decorated with silver balls, but that's not because of some
official system.  I ordered it that way because it's Nigel-proof: I
can't damage myself on it! (Walthari is the one who made the Laurel
SoA crown.)

Nigel
who's seen more than a few injuries caused by crowns