No subject

Thu May 8 19:53:29 PDT 2014

There is inscriptional evidence to show that in the earliest period there
were female versions of the praenomina and that women's names presumably
consisted of a praenomen and nomen followed by filiation. By the time of the
historically attested Republic, women no longer normally had praenomina.
Instead, they were officially known only by the female form of their
father's nomen. If further description was needed, the name was followed by
the genitive of her father's nomen or, after marriage, of her husband.
Hence, Cicero speaks of a woman as Annia P. Anni senatoris filia (Annia the
daughter of P. Annius the senator). If only two daughters survived they
could be distinguished as maior and minor. Mark Antony's daughters were
known as Antonia maior (grandmother of the emperor Nero) and Antonia minor
(mother of the emperor Claudius). More than two daughters were distinguished
by ordinal numbers: Cornelia Quinta, the fifth daughter of a Cornelius. By
the late Republic women also adopted the female form of their father's
cognomen (e.g., Caecilia Metella Crassi, daughter of Q. Caecilius Metellus
and wife of P. Licinius Crassus). This feminized cognomen was often made a
diminutive (e.g., Augustus's wife Livia Drusilla was the daughter of a M.
Livius Drusus).

This might be a good example for Drusilla, which is a diminutive feminine
form of Drusus.

Hope this can be help.... and isn't all just a pile of wet marbles.
Alden