[ANSTHRLD] New Period Pirate Names

Lisa Theriot lisatheriot at ravenboymusic.com
Tue Oct 7 12:47:26 PDT 2014

That may have actually been his name.  There was a Portuguese warship built around 1534 called the St. John the Baptist, but nicknamed Botafogo because it carried so much cannon.  The lead artillery commander, João Pereira de Sousa (1540-1627), became so synonymous with the vessel that he added Botafogo to his family name.  There is a seaside town in Brazil named Botafogo after him (where I happen to have relatives). Genealogical records show that he had a son named Andreza (1575-1655), so I bet Andreza Pereira de Sousa Botafogo was your "Antonio Botafoc".

Adelaide

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Botafogo_(galleon)
http://martin.romano.org/ps05/ps05_394.htm