[ANSTHRLD] Motto help

Lisa Theriot lisatheriot at ravenboymusic.com
Fri Oct 9 10:39:00 PDT 2015

First NEVER use an online translation.  They have a number of problems, both
in limited vocabulary, and in not recognizing parts of speech, e.g., "her"
as in "her book" and "her" as in "I gave it to her" are different words in
Latin, and the bot will frequently give you the wrong one. Note also your
two choices gave you an indicative in one case and a present tense in the
other.

Assuming you're looking for a sense of "try to see the finish line", you
definitely don't want respicere, which is specifically about looking BACK.
Prospicere has a meaning of "foresee", so it's not a bad choice. If I were
translating "visualize world peace" it's probably what I'd pick. If that's a
little too ephemeral for you, I'd suggest aspicere, which is just, "hey,
look at that!" (Note you can tell by the relationship between aspicere and
respicere that the latter wants you to do something backwards or again, just
like place and replace in English.)

So I'd say your best choices for "look to the end" are "prospicite finem"
and "aspicite finem", depending on whether you want a more philosophical or
concrete interpretation. (These are both indicative plural, so think, "hey
guys" in front of it.)

Adelaide