[ANSTHRLD] Jason III

Jay Rudin rudin at peoplepc.com
Sat Jul 16 20:36:33 PDT 2016

Yes, you're exactly right. He will be Jason III. This is the result of our non-period approach of using more than one regnal number for a single person.

In England, during the War of the Roses, Henry VI was followed by Edward IV, followed by the return of Henry VI, and then the return of Edward IV. But they kept their numbers.

By contrast, in the non-heraldic presidency of the United States, Grover Cleveland was the 22nd and 24th President of the United States.

In Meridies, after John the Bearkiller had three reigns, the Mad Celt won. I heard at the time (but have no documentation) that he signed as John II. He was the second king of Meridies named John (although the fourth reign of a John).

However, I see on the current Meridies web page that John the Bearkiller's reigns are listed as John I, John II, and John III (and eventually IV and V), while the Mad Celt is listed as John of Ean Airgead I and John of Ean Airgead II.

So under the English model, our Prince would become Jason II (as the previous Jason would have been simply Jason in both of his reigns).
Under the presidential model, our prince would merely be the 76th king.
Under the modern Meridien model, he would be Jason Dryfesdale (and in a second reign, Jason Dryfesdale II).

But Ansteorra's use of changing regnal numbers means he will be Jason III.

Robin of Gilwell / Jay Rudin