[ANSTHRLD] Updates to submission page on heraldry website

Tim McDaniel tmcd at panix.com
Tue Jul 23 15:18:21 PDT 2019

On Tue, 23 Jul 2019, Equinox Herald <northern at herald.ansteorra.org> wrote:
> Sorry at round table it was stated those items weren't needed.  Sorry about
> the autocorrect autocomplete errors.

I found the discussion I was thinking of.  SCA Heraldry Unofficial
Chat at
https://www.facebook.com/groups/SCAHeraldryChat/permalink/10157673307889203/
It's unofficial, but there were replies by Julia Smith, which oddly
enough happens to be the same name as Laurel Queen of Arms. I'm sure
it's just a coincidence.

Julia Smith
'The Laurel office does not require - and has asked submitters not to
provide - their gender or their date of birth. The intended gender of
the submission is still helpful (remembering that "No Preference" is
there as a box and additional notes can be added in documentation - so
if one wanted a name that could be used by men and women in
period)....

'It has been removed - in part in response to the GDPR requirements of
the EU (which require us to be clear about why we're collecting this
information and have need for it) and in part because people are
generally nervous about it. In the current world, it's much easier
than it was in the 1990s to reach out and say "were you living in the
X kingdom and playing in 20xx" and figure out if they're the same
person.'

Someone wrote in the discussion above:

'Richard Hershberger The original point of asking for the DoB back in
the day was ...  That was before we used our DoBs to pick up our
prescriptions at the pharmacy, making it a more delicate matter.'

So if the forms are being worked on at the moment, might be good to
yank those fields while it's metaphorically up on the rack.

Danihel de Lincolnia
Tim McDaniel, tmcd at panix.com