HERB - hello

Mike C. Baker kihe at ticnet.com
Fri Aug 14 22:56:57 PDT 1998

Clare said:

> Gophers aren't everywhere in the US, just in the more temperate areas.
We
> don't have them in Texas (as far as I know) but we had them in California
> where I grew up... Of course we had eucalyptus (gigantic ones) in
> California but have to coddle the ones in Texas.  Oh course we have
> occaisional prairie dogs, nutria and armadillos in Texas that others may
> not have.  Armadillos are but but a nuisance.  I quess it means that all
> places have a "pesky varmint" of some type.  Ours are mostly insect or
> 'dillos......

I have seen apparent gopher mounds in north Texas, and they are definitely
a big problem in central Oklahoma at least as far south as Pauls Valley.
Gopher appear to be most common / most nuisance in sandy or other
relatively loose soils -- although I have had to deal with some truly
awesome mounds in Oklahoma red-clay areas bordering such terrain.

The best gopher removal method I know of short of poisons is trapping,
and the best type of trap varies based upon soil type and vegetation.
(No-kill gopher traps are NOT generally effective.)

Armadillo became a major problem in central / north central Oklahoma,
particularly due to their habit of burrowing into earthen pond dams, more
than twenty years ago.  Twenty years before *that* they were unknown
north of the Washita except in zoos and menageries.

Reminder to the folks who haven't dealt with it before: castor beans are
poisonous products that are a special risk to small human children. At
least, that is what was drummed into ME as a small child...

Mike C. Baker
SCA: Amr ibn Majid al-Bakri al-Amra
"Other": Kihe Blackeagle (the Dreamsinger Bard)
My opinions are my own -- who else would want them?
e-mail: kihe at ticnet.com OR kihe at rocketmail.com