HERB - ragweed

nweders@mail.utexas.edu nweders at mail.utexas.edu
Thu Jul 23 17:06:29 PDT 1998

 I think I maybe have found one of the flowers that you are looking for..
The info is from The Wildflowers of Texas by Geyata Ajilvsgi
Shearer Publications.  It lists Bitterweed (Helenium amarum) ASTERACEAE  an
upright moundlike small annual herb 4-20 inches high stem inconspicuously
grooved or ribbed, solitary or few,slender at base, usually much branched
in upper portion.  Entire  plant bitterly aromatic.  FLOWER:  head to 1
inch.  ray flowers, 8 petalled, yellow, toothed at tip, somewhat drooping.
Heads numerous forming loose open terminal cluster.  LEAVES:  long, very
narrow or threadlike, stalkless, numerous in lower portion of the plant.
	Bitterwweed is not usuallly eaten by cattle and increases greatly in
heavily grazed areaas.  Milk of cows that do feed on the herbage is
extremely distasteful, and honey from the pollen is reportedly very bitter
and unpalatable.

Is this it?

What fun, even if I'm wrong!

Clare