HERB - Charlemagne's list

RAISYA@aol.com RAISYA at aol.com
Sat Jun 6 22:17:23 PDT 1998

I said:

>I believe there are two plants called rocket, the edible one is also called
arugula.  >The other is grown for its flower.

That's not exactly right.  I looked it up, the leaves of the flower, sweet
rocket, is also edible, but is considered too bitter by most people.

Sorry, must have been the smoke <G>.

Now, I have a question.  What is the "kidney bean"?  This is one that I've
been puzzling over since I realized that there are two different "beans" in
the TACUINUM SANITATIS.  One is the Fava bean, the other very obviously is a
different plant and looks much like a dry bean plant.  Alysoun, you include
"Dolichos or Vigna".  I think the dolichos is the Asian lab-lab, but what's
the vigna?  The TACUINUM I've been looking at labels the bean as "faxioli"
which is pretty close to "phaseolus" which is the modern bean.  The
illumination looks right, and it mentions different colored beans, which fits,
too.  So what exactly is it?

Oh, I just realized I forgot to say a BIG "THANK YOU!!!!!" to Alysoun for the
list!

Raisya