HERB - List 7 of 7 - Necessarie herbes ..for Physic

Norman White gn-white at tamu.edu
Mon Jun 15 07:43:44 PDT 1998

Jin Liu Ch'ang here with the last list from Tusser

This list basically appears to include medicinal herbs not otherwise mentioned earlier although it includes some plants such as rhubarb and some common spices.

Necessarie Herbes to Growe in the Garden for Physick, Not Rehersed Before

1. Annis  2. Archangel  3. Betanie  4. Charviel  5. Cinqfile  6. Cummin
7. Dragons  8. Detanie, or garden ginger  9. Gromel seed, for the stone
10. Hartstong  11. Horehound  12. Lovage for the stone  13. Licoras
14. Mandrake  15. Mogwort  16. Pionees  17. Poppie  18. Rew
19. Rubarb  20.  Smalach, for swellings  21. Saxefrage, for the stone
22. Saxefrage, for the stone  23. Savin, for the bots  24. Stitchwort
25. Valerian  26. Woodbine

And he ends his herb lists with one of his rhymes which I include since I have now posted all his lists:

                        This ends in breefe,
                        Of herbes the cheefe,
                        To get more skill,
                        Read whom ye will,