Raw eggs (was Re: HERB - Mint, yet again!)

Michael P Newton melc2newton at juno.com
Tue Jun 16 20:28:48 PDT 1998

On Tue, 16 Jun 1998 13:55:58 -0400 "Gaylin Walli"
<g.walli at infoengine.com> writes:

>Doubtful. As long as you don't suck the egg contents into your mouth
>and if you thoroughly wash your hands and the egg shells before and
>after, and if you've stored your eggs properly (not in the egg door of
>your fridge and below 40 F) I think you've covered most of the bases.
>
>This, however, is solely my uneducated opinion. The eggs *are*
>sanitized
>prior to selling them to you. Assuming you don't buy them from your
>neighbor, that is. The number of chickens that actually are suspected
>of passing on the bacteria to eggs and the number of eggs that
>actually
>contain the bacteria are actually very very low according to the
>statistics published by the FDA.

>Jasmine de Cordoba, Midrealm
>g.walli at infoengine.com or jasmine at infoengine.com

We just had a looooong thread on eggs over on the cooks list, and the
general consenus was that raw eggs, if kept cool and dry will last
without refrigeration for quite some time. It will also help if you block
the air pores with petroleum jelly or mineral oil.
Beatrix