Dandelion was Re: HERB - thank you.

sunshinegirl sunshinegirl at steward-net.com
Wed Jun 17 19:13:19 PDT 1998

> From: gangis at siu.edu
> .  I am however still curious about other use's for the parts of a
> dandylion which is one of the very few plants I can identify.   to
perform mailing list tasks.

The following comes from _Rodale's illustrated encyclopedia of herbs_

The juice of the dandelion root is used to treat diabetes and liver
diseases by European herbalists.  It is also used for building up the
blood, curing anemia, as a diuretic, mild laxative, aid in digestion, and
appetite stimulant.

Dandelion wine has a reputation as an excellent tonic for the blood.  1
gallon boiling water and 3 1/2 pounds of sugar to each gallon of flowers,
and wine yeast.  Ginger, sliced lemon, and orange rind may also be added
for flavor.

Dandelion roots are roasted as coffee substitute or an addition to hot
chocolate.  Use autumn roots, cleaned, dried, roasted till color of coffee,
and ground for use.

Young leaves may be used in salads, older leaves may be steamed or sauteed
like spinach.

Flowers may be minced and added to butters and spreads for color, used as
garnish, or to add color to herb vinegars.

Leaves may be used in herbal baths and facial steams as a skin tonic.

Flowers may be used for a yellow dye for wool.
Some gardners reccommend leting them grow near fruit trees.