HERB - Re: dandelion

khkeeler kkeeler at unlinfo.unl.edu
Mon Jun 22 07:59:27 PDT 1998

John Day asked
>         Fourthly I at presant drink Dandilion tea made from the leaves

As far as I know you can eat every part of dandelion at every season
safely if you wish. It gets pretty bitter--you may not wish to. I've
eaten everything but the seeds.
  My favorite Period name for them is piss-a-beds, recognizing their
diuretic qualities.

I too couldnt find them in the herbals.  My best guess is that this is a
plant of northern but not southern Europe.  So I donclude Dioscorides
writing from the Mediterranean and other classical sources didn't know
it.  I think the range is north of the Alps.  There are botanically very
interesting populations in Holland.  In the US its native American
relatives are a pretty high elevations (cool conditions). It does appear
in end-of-period English herbals such as Gerard and Culpeper.
Jasmine, what arabic herbals talk about dandelion?

Agnes
Yes, I'm catching up on my email.