HERB - Re: gathering weeds

khkeeler kkeeler at unlinfo.unl.edu
Mon Jun 22 09:23:09 PDT 1998

John Day also asked about things to gather
  John, my recommendation is you work your way through your yard and
roadside weeds, checking each one out in herbals. (I found John Lust,
The herb book good for that: small book, lots of plants covered.  But
its getting old, check some others too, edible wild plants of <your
area> for example).
	A surprisng proportion of the plants that we call weeds were brought to
the US as pot herbs and medicinals and got away.

   I was weeding to make an all-grass lawn and found, after dandelions,
shepherd's purse (yum), chickweed (my favorite), lamb's quarters (my
most reliable), purselane, wild lettuce (too bitter for my taste),
chickory, alehoof, goatsbeard. The choices are even better in the
eastern US where we've lived longer and the climate is more like Europe

Plant notes:  shepherd's purse _Capsella bursa-pastoris_, mustard family
Brassicaceae; chickweed _Stellaria media_ (carnation family,
Caryophyllaceae), lamb's quarters aka goosefoot _Chenopodium album_
Chenopodiaceae, goosefoot family; purslane _Portulaca oleracea_
Portulaceae,portulaca family; wild lettuce _Lactuca_ several species,
daisy family, Asteraceae, alehoof aka ground ivy _Glecoma_ [formerly
_Nepeta_] _hederacea_ mint family Lamiaceae; goatsbeard _Tragopogon_
species daisy family Asteraceae]  [_ _ indicates the word is a
scientific name and is underlined (or italicized)

Agnes

Mistress Agnes deLanvallei, Mag Mor, Calontir
dedicated to promoting the study and safe recreation of Medieval uses of
plants; if I can be of aid in your study, I'd be honored.

kkeeler1 at unl.edu