cost of herbs was Re: HERB - Re: health & old meat

sunshinegirl sunshinegirl at steward-net.com
Tue Jun 23 19:11:49 PDT 1998

I have been told that nutmegs were so valuable  (worth more than their
weight in gold) that the business in carving wooden nutmegs to mix with the
real ones was quite common.

I would be interested in knowing what the period cost, put into today's
spending value, for spices, peppers, cinnamen, nutmeg, all spice, clove,
etc.
ie,  if a nutmeg cost its weight in gold in 1350,  What was that cost
compared to a typical day's wages.  If we were to pay the equivelent cost
in spending power today, how much would it be?  Does anyone have any
information on this type of thing?

Melandra of the Woods