HERB - Re: cost of herbs

Gaylin Walli g.walli at infoengine.com
Thu Jun 25 07:21:53 PDT 1998

Mistress Agnes wrote:
>There are records of King John's household expenses and I think we
>could find the information to make comparisons there. I'll try looking
>over the weekend.  Coming forward in time, more records exist but the
>problem of shifting relative values remains.

Would compartive prices of cloves also be good measures
cosidering how expensive and protected they were? I think
some of the Dutch shipping records list some of these
prices in comparison to their other cargos.

I also think cinnamon was commonly used to pay off debts and
can be seen in records as such. Very expensive given the amount
of debt records being written off to these payments.

Now that I think about it, debt records may be an excellent
way to check at least a few of these prices too.

Jasmine de Cordoba, Midrealm (Metro-Detroit area of Michigan)
jasmine at infoengine.com or g.walli at infoengine.com

"Si enim alicui placet mea devotio, gaudebo; si autem
nulli placet, memet ipsam tamen juvat quod feci."
-- Hroswith of Gandersheim