HERB - Re: cost of herbs

N.D. Wederstrandt nweders at mail.utexas.edu
Thu Jun 25 15:24:14 PDT 1998

>What does "2 s/lb   (10 p.)   stand for??  shillingings??  pence???   What
>was the buying power  of it compared to the buying power today??
>
>ie,  not only how much did a pound of nutmeg cost, in today's dollars, but
>also how many day's wages was that??  There is a difference.
>Melandra of the Woods

I'm telling you, I never have the right books at work and if I bring one it
never has all the info.   2 s/lb (10 p)  means 2 shillings a pound which is
equvalent to 10 pence.  Roughly 5 pennies to a shilling.

A sheperd connected to a farm was provided wages in a combination of
food(meals) and about 3 shillings or 15 pennies a year.  this was also for
carters and ploughmen.  Somewher at home, I have a list of how much people
earned with a modern equivalent and will look for it.  Just looking at the
basics here....

saffron (after 1349 14s/lb (70 p)  means that saffron in 1349 cost around
70 pennies a pound and a sheperd earned 15 pennies a year.  They also said
in the book that a skilled craftsman could earn 6 pennies a day but didn't
say how many days a year he worked.  A gallon of the best ale cost a penny
a gallon while sweet wine from France or Spain cost 6 pennies a gallon.
Ale and bread prices went up or down  due to the price of barley going up
and down.  Food was often included as part of the wage and it seemed that
that food was at least edible.

Anyone else have info?  i hope this helps a little

Clare