HERB - herbs of the week

RAISYA@aol.com RAISYA at aol.com
Mon Jun 29 21:42:44 PDT 1998

Clare,

I don't have much on anise, but basil was a strewing herb (Tusser's list <G>).
The word, basil, derives from Greek words meaning "royal" and "king". It seems
to have been a bit controversial, some writers claimed it wasn't fit for
eating, but recipes from several sources survive, and it appears in the 14th
century TACUINUM SANITATIS.  Pesto was described in England by at least the
late 16th century in DYET'S DRY DINNER (can't find the author's name right
now).

Basil's easy to grow as long as the weather's warm, but it can't survive
frost.  It prefers a sunny location and regular watering, spaced about 12" -
18" apart.  It can be grown from seed, or, I think, cuttings.  Once the
plant's about a foot high, leaves can be harvested regularly.  Two plants
usually provide plenty for cooking use.  Some varieties can be grown in pots
indoors to provide fresh basil during the winter.

I'm fond of basil, it was the first herb I grew.  And my whole family has
developed a real taste for fresh pesto <G>.

Raisya