HERB - to Kris -- dog food

Lughnasa@aol.com Lughnasa at aol.com
Tue Jun 30 03:32:35 PDT 1998

>  What do you think of the actual nutritional value of dog foods, even the
>  higher priced ones?   Dr. Pitcairn claims that companies use rancid oils
>  and diseased animal parts, plus the food is cooked at such a high
>  temperature that by the time we get it, the nutritional value is almost
>  gone.   that's why I started feeding my dogs "human" food as well as the
>  other.   My mother has been doing it forever, and none of her dogs has
>  had skin problems.  Of course, i do realize that some pedigree dogs have
>  genetic skin disorders, but mine have always been mutts.

  I haven't read Dr. Pitcairns book, but on this particular point, he's full
of it.  Give me a few lines to get into it.  ;)
  Rancid oils and diseased animal parts will make dogs sick.  Which means that
there is no profit in using them.  Yes, some percentage of ingredients are
"lacking", but the organisations, FDA, Ag Coalition, etc., in charge  of
monitoring foods have the same standards for pets and livestock as for humans.
This is one of the myths that go along with ingredients like roadkill and
chicken feathers.  It simply doesn't happen.  I actually was told, by a
customer, that he "knew a guy who knew a guy" who was supposedly hauling an
entire semi full of chicken feathers for dog food.  I'm sorry.  No.  Not gonna
happen. No way.
  As for standards, there are 2 classifications of foods (human, canine,
feline, etc.).  These are "Grocery" brands and "Premium" brands.  I stay
completely away from grocery brands because they aren't worth the money you
save.  Except for Pedigree, maybe.  In order to be considered premium a food
must meet strict guidelines.
  These include (can't find my class notes so I'm going off-skull): All grade
A ("human" grade) ingredients; and I can't remember the rest right now.  {:-}
  Personally, I think that Waltham is the best mass-market brand out there.
Although, any of the premium brands are good.  Some more so than others (no
name dropping on this one, I don't care for lawsuits).
  As to high temps, yep.  Just like in every kitchen in the world.  It's just
done at a high enough level that it gets done quicker, just like any mass food
producer.  I can't speak for every producer, but I have seen how a few make
their foods.  Most do mold or sheet baking.  Waltham's got a patented process
where they don't add any heat at all, but it still gets cooked.  When any of
them cook their food, it's always at the end when all the inredients are
mixed.  The final bit is to spray the now dry dog food with fat (some more
than others) and pack-and-ship.
  Of course canning is a little different.  Same ingredient rules, though.
>  Also, how is the peanut loi better?
   Peanut oil just has a bit more B and potassium in it.  It's strictly a
preference thing.  I did mention earlier that the feeding programs are fine.
It's not like dogs a obligate carnivores like cats.  Just make yourself aware
of what they require and what is in what you're feeding them.  Also, remember:
ANIMAL BY-PRODUCTS ARE THE BEST PARTS.

>  raven

         Anything else?
             Kris