HERB - Re: HERB- documenting

Katherine Blackthorne kblkthrn at midtown.net
Mon May 4 12:29:01 PDT 1998

----------
> From: Diana Habra <dch at inreach.com>
> To: herbalist at Ansteorra.ORG
> Subject: HERB - Re:HERB- documenting
> Date: Friday, May 01, 1998 10:13 AM

 The text is:

> Reader's Digest
> Magic and Medicine of Plants
> c. 1986
> ISBN-0-89577-221-3
> retail cost $27.95
> In
> the "Uses" section, it tells what people use the herb for and if there
> is any scientific basis for the use.  And example would be hyssop.  The
> book says that traditionally, hyssop was used for respiratory problems.
> It then states "Pharmacologists state that hyssop probably does act as a
> demulcent, a substance soothing th the mucous membrances, and this may
> explain its effectiveness in alleviating respiratory problems."

Wow!   These are some of the same reasons I swear by "The New Age Herbal".
(Don't let the name fool ya'!)  I provides PHOTOS of EVERY plant, groups by
scientific family (putting related herbs together) but indexes by Latin &
common name (for ease of use.)  , gives a breakdown of the chemicals found
in the plant, followed by "Uses", both culinary & medicinal, and last but
certainly not least, gives  THE MODERN MEDICAL REASONS why it does what it
does.   Eight years or so ago, when I bought it, I had never before seen an
herbal that wasn't based on large doses of "my grandmother said..." or
"I've heard that..."...and certainly none with photos of the plants.  While
I haven't had cause to go shopping for another herbal in a while, I'm glad
to hear there's another one like it out there.  (Maybe I should pick up a
copy & use them for comparison.  I never like to put all my trust in any
single source of information....)

--Katherine