HERB - Herbal Pest Repellants

SCOTT A WAGGONER maynedelacroix at juno.com
Wed May 6 03:14:13 PDT 1998

On Tue, 05 May 1998 13:39:56 EDT kathe1 at juno.com (Kathleen Everitt)
writes:
>>	How about discussing herbal pest and rodent deterrants?
>>Garlic planted with roses, marigolds, I recall someone posting that
>>they were growing pennyroyal and thyme (? the first I 've heard of
>>using thyme)  to strew around their pavillion at war, that sort of
>>thing.  I tried growing southernwood for a while, and made
>cheesecloth
>>packets with lavender flowers, southernwood sprigs, and something
>else
>>I can't remember now, and put them in between my wool fabric.  I have
>
>>tried using pennyroyal baths on my dogs to treat for fleas, but I
>>haven't had much success with that (or with chemicals, for that
>>matter).
>>What else has worked for folks?
>>
>>Mistress Christianna MacGrain, OP, Meridies
>
>We have some Daisies, I forget what they're called, but they get
>Pyrethrum (sp?) from them.

Pyrethrins are
 , yes, a natural substance, but it does cause side effects in animals,
as well as humans.

allergic dermatitis, allergic reactions, nausea, vomiting, ringing in the
ears, headaches, central
nervous system disturbances,(these are dog and cat reactions, not sure
about humans)
prolonged use may cause liver damage.  Permethrin, a synthetic pyrethrin
is a slight carcinogen.
D-limonene has no toxic effects reported in dogs,  cats can experience
excess salivation,
weakness, muscle tremors,
Source for info:  Dr. Pitcairn's Complete Guide to Natural Health for
Cats and Dogs
Richard H. Pitcairn DVM PhD and Susan Hubble Pitcairn
He is a holistic vet.
Raven

 I haven't tried using them on the dog for