HERB - Favorite Herb

Carl and/or Anne Adamczyk grania1 at juno.com
Wed May 6 10:28:15 PDT 1998

Lavender is a very tender and often difficult plant to grow.  We have not
had any success with starting it from seed and have  resorted to buying
established plants at the nursery.   They are listed as biennials but
after the second year, they bloom every season.  Simon and Schuster's
"Complete Guide to Plants and Flowers" says it is a fragrant shrub up to
3 ft. in height.  A very large pot would be in order.  S&S go on to say
that propagation is by heel cuttings in mid summer and the environment
which is recommended is full sun.  S&S cautions that it is not too hardy
in cold climates.  But, mine survived the 31.7 inch snowfall 2 winters
ago with little damage.

The species we buy is lavandula augustafola(sp?) and it is a true
lavender.  We bought a frilled edge leaf species last year which was kept
in a pot because it was not winter hardy and we brought it in when fall
settled in.  It did not survive.