HERB - Re: sources and names

Gaylin Walli g.walli at infoengine.com
Thu May 7 14:10:34 PDT 1998

Evaine the Crazed wrote:
>This sounds like a good start. I use PageMaker for publishing and am
>learning HTML and just got started on PERL for website building.

With all honesty, I'm very good with HTML and quite inept with
PERL. I'll volunteer any HTML skills and graphic design skills
(and writing, I suppose, since that's what I do for a living).

>What I *don't* have is plant knowledge. All of you will have to supply
>the name-matching, note writing expertise. So far, all I know is that most
>plants are green sometime in their lifecycle.

I think with all the wonderful people on this list, we should be
able to make a good start of it. The thing I'm most concerned
about it accuracy of information. I've been tripped up too many
times by not double-checking some of the stuff I've taken as
accurate, only to find that it's really a secondary source and
out-of-period.

>I've built many databases both for myself and for my before-retirement
>employer, GTE.

YEAH! Evaine is a Goddess! Go Evaine! Go Evaine!

>To start, I would need to know database fields [....] 4) notes on
>historical and modern references and uses.

This is the part that scares me most. There are *TONS* of
references like this that are published (a few of them
are searchable and online). I'd hate to repeat that kind of
work in full. I'd rather lean more towards accurate notes on
uses as we can *document* them, and thus avoid "My granny told
me that..." problems.

>What else do you want?

Safety info? Is it listed in a current British, American, or
German pharmacopia-type lists? What's the most recent research and
how does that research tie back to the (pre)period references in their
accuracy? :)

Just remember: you're not crazed. This is my fault. I mentioned
it. You can place all the blame on me. :)

Jasmine de Cordoba, Midrealm
jasmine at infoengine.com

PS: If anyone is going to Baron Wars in Perrysburg, OH
this weekend, I'll be there. Look for a period pavillion
in the camping areas (I hope) with arms (in English) two silver
winged snakes on a green field devouring a heart.