HERB - Period references and lists -Reply

Sara Harless evaine at glenmar.com
Fri May 8 08:21:33 PDT 1998

On Fri, 8 May 1998, Lughnasa wrote:

>   I have 2 demos on my PC that are herbal resources.  They're pretty good
> references, no where near what has been proposed.  If anyone is interested, I
> could ZIP and Send.
>
> Kris

If no one objects, I have a spare little 400+ meg harddrive I can
warehouse info on while I set up a dB format for what we think we
want to do now. Several of you have mentioned very useful additional data
fields. My first thoughts are to have the central data searchable on any
field. Each data entry would be linked to three (as of now) notes fields:
1) modern uses based on latest known research with biblio and/or abstracts
(with permission of course); 2) medieval uses from documentable SCA
period sources; and 3) folklore with a bent toward theories/thoughts on
why the common folks believed it and used it. This would be the online
version.

Since I have dabbled in desktop publishing before, I'd like to publish
some of this to the SCA and any other interested parties. Not everyone in
the world is on the internet yet. It would be a shame for someone who is
genuinely interested to not be able to get this info in some form.
Printing at cost from my home/office runs about 10 cents per two sided page.
That makes a Pale/BlackStar/Mews sized 40 page booklet cost about $1.00 to
print.

With this in mind, please, please, please make sure any of you who
contribute info for this project note the sources, any direct quotes, that
kind of stuff. Also, if you have any of your own stuff that you wish to
add but do not want published in printed form, please note this so I can
flag it as "do not publish without permission of author". I don't want to
step on any toes, but I also love to spread information, especially if it
may help someone.

Evaine, still crazy but getting a handle on this monster.

"I love it when a plan comes together!" - Hannibal Smith.
"Me, too!" - me