HERB - Period references and lists

khkeeler kkeeler at unlinfo.unl.edu
Fri May 8 10:25:01 PDT 1998

Christine A Seelye-King wrote:

> >It is also my impression that the SCA still prohibits any herbal taken
> >internally unless you can prove its safe by modern standards.  Taking
> >a stand on safety on an SCA webpage strikes me as a risk we don't want.
> >
> >Agnes deLanvallei, Mag Mor, Calontir
>
> And where is this SCA stand on Herbs?  Is that from Copora?  I didn't
> know that the SCA had taken any stand on such things.
>         Christianna

Doesn't seem important enough for Corpora.
It may be Calontir, but our roots are Midrealm, and it was basic
information for entering competitions when I first started (early
1980's).

I don't have anything written I can produce.  Its just basic A&S safety,
like telling illuminators not to recreate lead-based paints and dyers to
let chromium mordants alone.

It seems only good sense not to make for ingestion anything you can't
show is safe.  A number of unsafe things go into Period cooking.  The
medicinal herbals were all really written from professional medical
practitioners for other professionals: handling potentially dangerous
drugs was part of the job.

The states that are Calontir do not have licensed herbalists -- there
are no recognized modern authorities to go to.

Agnes
kkeeler1 at unl.edu