HERB - Moths

Katherine Blackthorne kblkthrn at midtown.net
Fri May 8 13:23:17 PDT 1998

Aoibheil wrote:

> I found when living in military quarters (for 20 years) that the best
deterrent
> for roaches, of any sort, was not just a thorough cleaning.  But,
afterwards
> strewing FRESH, dried, whole bay leaves in the backs of drawers,
cupboards, and
> closets chased the remaining creepies away and they didn't come back.
Changing
> the bay leaves about every 2 months kept them from returning.
>
> Hope this helps!

Perhaps this is where my mother's habit of using bay leaves in her woolens
came from.  She told me it was to keep out "bugs".  (I ASSUMED she meant
moths! :-))  But she spent 12 yrs. in the Army before I moved in with her,
and told stories of Georgia barracks-roaches occasionally carrying off
small stereo systems and offering armed resistance to anyone who
objected..... Maybe she learned about bay-leaves to deal with THEM.  (Cool,
another pest they work for! :->)
Katherine Blackthorne

Province of Golden Rivers
Principality of Cynagua