HERB - Brother Cadfael's Herb Garden

Katherine Blackthorne kblkthrn at midtown.net
Fri May 8 14:14:08 PDT 1998

> I bought Brother Cadfael's Herb Garden because I liked the look of it.
> I haven't worked extensively with it but I'd put it in the category of
> Freeman's Herbs for the Mideval Housewife:  the writers know their
> plants, and are trying to tell us about Medieval uses.
> 	The pictures are good. Where the plants are illustrated its very
> helpful.  Not all, however, are illustrated.
> 	They put the zodiac sign of the plants in.  This is hard information to
> come by-- Culpeper is the only other source I know.

That's because you're looking in the "herbs" section.  Try looking in
"Magick" or "occult" sections if you want this info.  I know (the late)
Scott Cunningham has a couple of books on the Magickal properties of herbs,
both of which contain this information, as well as their "masculine" or
"feminine" nature, and what planet "rules" them (and what deities they are
sacred to, etc).  (Let's see, what were those titles... "Cunninghams
Magickal Herbs"?  "Magical Herbalism"?  I never look at the TITLE anymore,
just grab it off my shelf....)

Katherine Blackthorne
Province of Golden Rivers
Principality of Cynagua