HERB - Mint

ND Wederstrandt nweders at mail.utexas.edu
Mon May 11 12:47:38 PDT 1998

>Greetings!
>
>I was wondering is one kind of mint better than another? I just bought
>some lemon balm yesterday because of this list!

	I like Mitchum's peppermint and any spearmint for my two favorites
that I try to go on a regular basis. One of my favorites but it's kind of
useless is Corsican mint.  It looks like moss but has a wonderful scent.
Just smell and go for whatever appeals to you.  A lot of people really like
apple mint, but I have never warmed up to it, it doesn't smell right to me.
There's a variety of peppermint which I really like but it's hard to
find.... it's called red stemmed peppermint.  Very intense peppermint
smell. I like orange mint as well, and pineapple mint (fuzzy varigated
leaf)  I prefer drinking spearmint tea over peppermint, which tastes
soemwhat fuzzy to me.  Spearmint tastes very clear and crisp.

Two things about mint, one is that mints hybridize very easily and I think
start smelling like each other.  One person favorite is the next person's
not..... Really just lightly rub the leaf and sniff your fingers.  That's
how I figure out which ones I like....

When your lemon balm gets big enough to harvest leaves from try this:

	Mix cream cheese with cut up strawberries and finely chopped lemon
balm and mix it in.  Chill and then use as a spread.  You can put a little
powdered sugar iin it as well. It's pretty tasty.  I have the actual recipe
at home and I'll try to post it.  It's caled Valentine.

Despite my complaints about lemon balm, it's a wonderful herb and great in
iced tea.

Clare