HERB - Mint

Christine A Seelye-King mermayde at juno.com
Mon May 11 10:32:25 PDT 1998

>Mint sounds like the perfect plant for part of my yard. How tall does
>it grow? How do you plant it? Does it need any special care? Is it
>compatible with maple trees and Indiana winters? In the contest
>between
>mint and weeds, who usually wins? (I hate pulling weeds)
>
>Thanks muchly for the info,
>Evaine

Well, it all depends on your definition of WEED.  ('Any plant that is
where you don't want it to be'  is mine.)
Mints usually grow to a height of about 1 - 1 1/2 feet, although I have
seen some healthy patches up around the 2-3 foot mark.  To plant it,
stick it in the ground with a little water, and stand back.  No special
care required (hee,hee, hee, ha,ha,ha, gufaw, gufaw!)  it will be
perfectly happy if left alone to it's own devices.  It does like sun, but
will probably grow under your maple trees just fine.  Take note of all
the other postings about mint,  it cross-polinates, mixes flavors, will
not be irradicated, etc.
Out of period but really neat - Chocolate mint, sometimes called Candy
Mint, oh, it's so good!  It is available at my local Pike's Nursery.
	Good Luck!

Mistress Christianna MacGrain, OP, Meridies