HERB - caffeine

ND Wederstrandt nweders at mail.utexas.edu
Tue May 12 12:20:11 PDT 1998

>> Could the caffeine be lowered in the teas? And How is mint tea made? No
>> alcohol tho' please. No matter how much I may like to have some.  :)

Tes has more caffeine than coffee but we actually get less caffeine from
tea.  This is because most of us don't brew tea as strongly as we do
coffee.  The actual amount you get when you brew tea is only about a third
of the actual amount.  So if you want tea just brew a very light (i.e. dip
your teabag three or four times and not immerse it for ten minutes or so.

Concerning herbal teas:  Be careful if any herb combination contains mate,
which is a South American drink they use instead of coffee or tea.  It is
full of caffeine as well.  Celestial Seasonings at one time put mate in
some of their teas.  Also Chinese and American Ephreda, which contain
substances that will cause you to speed a little bit.  When I had to give
up caffeine I was also told not to drink these as well.  BTW, chocolate
pudding contains caffeine,-- powdered caffeine is used as a flavor enhancer
in some prepared food.  They don't always have to list it.

Clare